Re: mouse-set-font and menu position?

From: Pavel Janík
Subject: Re: mouse-set-font and menu position?
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2001 19:50:22 +0100

[ This is not a bug in Emacs, I think, so you do not have to read that all,
but if you run sawfish you probably should. ]

   From: address@hidden (Pavel Janík)
   Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 23:27:41 +0100

   > while experimenting with mouse-set-font (S-down-mouse-1) I have realized,
   > that the Font menu is not always displayed at the point, where you click on
   > the frame in X. When I selected non-Default font (like Misc/6x10, but it
   > does not apply to all of them) the menu is about 5cm from the mouse
   > cursor. It seems to me, that the coordinates of the mouse event are not
   > good in this case.

Better description of how to reproduce that:

emacs -q -eval
      '(progn
        (sit-for 1)
        (set-default-font "6x10")
        (sit-for 1)
        (set-default-font "6x13"))'

First, emacs will start with the default font. After 1s (not necessary to
wait here, just because we would like to see that), the font is changed to
6x10. The frame is now smaller, but the top-left origin of emacs' X-frame
is the same as before. After additional 1s, the font is changed to 6x13 AND
the top-left origin of X-frame is moved (at least on my setup) but
bottom-left origin stays at the same point on the monitor.

After that, S-down-mouse-1 will show menu, which is about 5cm from the
mouse pointer.

I do have this in my .Xdefaults:

emacs.geometry:        110x45+50-55

Without that (ie. after xrdb -load /dev/null) it is OK, the top-left origin
of X-frame is not moved at all.

My window manager is sawfish-1.0. I have also tried twm and it works
perfectly with it even with emacs.geometry resource. Hmm, so this seems to
be a bug in sawfish. Anyone here with sawfish? If so and you see the same
problem too, please let me know privately so we can solve that with
sawfish people.

BTW - is it worthy to mention it in PROBLEMS?
--
Pavel Janík

The more I learn about Linux kernel issues, the more I am considering to start
looking for Something Else(tm)... ;-)
                  -- Lars Marowsky-Bree in private e-mail