Re: lexical mumblings

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: lexical mumblings
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:27:41 -0700 (MST)

    (1) I changed the lisp name of the interpreter binding stack to be
        `internal-interpreter-lexical-environment'.  However, as I mentioned
        before, this is long enough to be a bit awkward in the C code
        (especially since `internal' is a bit inaccurate in that case), so I
        just called the C variable `Vinterpreter_lexical_environment'.

That is asking for confusion; the internal and external names should
be related in the standard way.

I suggest calling it internal-interpreter-environment.  The fact that
is lexical can be noted in comments or the doc string.

        The only existing variable with an `internal-' prefix that I could find
        is `internal-doc-file-name'; the C version of that variable indeed also
        drops the `internal' prefix, but it still uses a `V' prefix
        (`Vdoc_file_name').

I think that discrepancy should be corrected.

        or something in between, e.g.:

            ;; -*- lexical-binding: t -*-

That is best.