Re: keymap inheritance for non-sparse keymaps

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: keymap inheritance for non-sparse keymaps
Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:28:19 -0700 (MST)

    You saw the whole patch.  The only place where the `explicit-nil-binding'
    is introduced is in `store_in_keymap' where we turn a nil binding
    into an `explicit-nil-binding'.

Now I understand.  I missed that before.

So, it looks like the effect is that a nil binding which was not
explicitly stored will now act like no binding at all.
I guess that does the job.  I have two issues to raise:

1. This unintened symbol is not hidden from the user.
It can be accessed through aref.  So I have a feeling that
using an unintened symbol is the wrong thing to do.
Since the object can't entirely hide, it should not try;
it should be proud of what it means.

What kind of object should it be?

2. Would you like to check the programs in Emacs that call make-keymap
to make sure they will not be broken by this?  I thought of checking
them myself but I saw there were 82 of them.