Re: Please help developing Emacs

From: Kevin A. Burton
Subject: Re: Please help developing Emacs
Date: 13 Nov 2001 23:07:46 -0800

>     But IMO I have seen other projects do this and they have done a great job
> at
>     attracting the community.
>
> I believe you--but I don't have time to talk with people who want to help and
> don't know how.  Educating them is a useful thing to do, but I can't do it.

that is fine... this is a large mailing list and you shouldn't have to handle
everything...

> If someone else who can do it wants to do it, it might be a good thing.

I don't think we have to do anything crazy but we could at least make it known
that we are an open community and welcome input.

>     Also.  Documentation that encourages non-developers to contribute
>     documentation and bug reports would be a good thing to see.
>
> Why do you think we do not have this?  The Emacs manual includes a large
> section teaching people how to send good bug reports.  How did you go about
> looking for this, and come up empty?

I understand.  Please note that this is constructive criticism.

> As for contributing documentation, that is something only a few people have
> learned how to do in any useful way.  Most hackers have a very bad idea of how
> to write documentation.

true...
<snip>

> All of this would be good information to put into the Emacs pages.  We just
> need people to do it.  So if you would like to write it, please go ahead.

OK..  I now am officially jumping on this :).  Give me a few days and I will
post an example.

>     Is the gcc.gnu.org site a deprecated policy?
>
> That causes frequent headaches, and I am very unhappy with it.
>
> We were thinking of making FOO.gnu.org be an alias for
> www.gnu.org/software/FOO for all values of FOO.  Unfortunately, that runs into
> a snag on gcc.gnu.org.

OK.
<snip>

> We can't use any Apache-only features, because we do not want to require all
> our mirrors to run Apache.
>
> Please refer to read our web server conventions in
<snip>

ug... good point.  I will think about this.

Kevin

- --
Kevin A. Burton ( address@hidden, address@hidden, address@hidden )
        Jabber - address@hidden,  Web - http://relativity.yi.org/

Linux.  The *only* Operating System you will ever need.