Re: customize-face: inverse-video does not work when customizing the men

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: customize-face: inverse-video does not work when customizing the menu face
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:42:53 +0200

> Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 03:57:05 -0700 (MST)
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
>
>     effect), but there is one subtle issue that is still unresolved.  If the
>     colors of the toolkit menus are unspecified (i.e. Emacs uses whatever
>     defaults are supplied by the toolkit or the X resources), setting the
>     inverse-video attribute of the `menu' face will still have no effect,
>     since we don't know what the colors are, and hence don't set them.
>
> Emacs could figure out what the resources specify
> and put those colors into the `menu' face.
> Then it would be able to handle inversion of the `menu' face.

The problem is that x-get-resource and its subroutines return nil if
the colors were not specified in one of the resources, such as
~/.Xdefaults, the app-defaults/Emacs file, or -xrm command-line
option.  So the default colors of the toolkit menus don't seem to be
accessible, or at least I don't know how to get at them.  Can someone
who knows X better please help?