Re: Customize fringe widths

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Customize fringe widths
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 18:27:48 -0700 (MST)

    The major effort in this particular case is to enable text-mode
    continuation and truncation glyphs on X.

I am surprised that is an effort, but I will take your word for it.
However, the issue here is simply what will control whether to use
that code.  Should it be the absence of fringes, or some other
parameter?

Either way, the work of writing the code to display
truncation/continuation glyphs under X will be basically the same.  So
that is not an argument for either choice.

    When (and if) someone writes the code to use the text-mode glyphs
    instead of the ones on the fringe, I suggest to make that a separate
    feature, independent of the fringe width.  Thus, instead of
    automatically displaying \ whenever the fringe disappears, we will
    simply display nothing, unless the user also turns on the text-mode
    continuation glyph.

That is an unfortunate consequence; avoiding it is one of the reasons
that the fringe width should control the decision.