Re: table.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:14:18 -0500

> Tak Ota <address@hidden> writes:
> > I found 2 types for prompt messages.
> >
> > 1. "prompt: (default %s) "
> > 2. "prompt (default %s): "
> >
> > For example, `switch-to-buffer' is the type 1 and `describe-function'
> > is the type 2.  Do you think I should follow the type 1?  Should all
> > type 2 be corrected to type 1?  To find the answer I opened the info
> > buffer to search in the elisp manual then learned that `Info-search'
> > was the type 2.
>
> I prefer type 1 (I think it's the only one that's hardwired into C code),
> and while I think the code should be made more uniform at some point, it's
> not very important, since they both are pretty obvious.
>
> So, yes, I think you should use type 1, but I'm curious to hear what
> other people think about it.

I also prefer option 2 for the same reason as Werner and others.
Also, I think we should abstract out the convention about this
`default' in the prompt (as well as the convention to make this
default available with M-n) so that the coder has to do something
special in order *not* to have this behavior.

For example, if the DEFAULT-VALUE parameter is nil but the
history is not, we should set DEFAULT-VALUE to the car of the
history and add (default <bla>) to the prompt.  Obviously
I haven't thought this through yet.

        Stefan