Re: Changes in the menu bar

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changes in the menu bar
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 14:25:00 -0700 (MST)

    IMVHO, it's important to make Apropos easily accessible to newbies,
    because it has a huge potential to help them.

    And changing the wording in the menu from "Apropos Variable" to
    "Variable Matching Regexp" is a negligible price to pay for making
    the feature more accessible to the newbies.

I agree.  "Variable Matching Regexp" is a better name,
but I am not sure it is the best we can find.

    I like it; I think something like `Show Matching Variables' (&c) would
    be a bit more consistent with the rest of the menu though.

I think that is a good name.

    Of course then my suggestion of `General Apropos' becomes not so good,
    because it doesn't match the others, and I'm not really sure _what_
    you'd call it under this alternate scheme... `Show Matching Stuff'?  [eek]

Maybe `Show Matching Names' or `Show Matching Anything'.