Re: table.el

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: table.el
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 11:26:12 -0500

> If the command specifies a history list, it must give an arg for the
> default value; if the programmer specified nil for the default value,
> he must have done it deliberately.

I disagree with this last `must'.  I've seen too many elisp hackers
that simply don't know to use the default-value (wdired.el being the
latest example).

I agree that a change to read-from-minibuffer might introduce problems.
That wouldn't bother me, but I won't try to push for it.
Instead, we could simply provide a new function which provides the
"standard" behavior and tell people that they should use that one
instead of read-from-minibuffer.

        Stefan