Re: printing.el v6.6.2

From: Vinicius Jose Latorre
Subject: Re: printing.el v6.6.2
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2001 14:36:19 -0200

> On Mon, 26 Nov 2001, Vinicius Jose Latorre wrote:
>
> > Here is printing.el package that, perhaps, it'll be integrated with Emacs.
> >
> > Opinions...
>
> Thanks.  It always annoyed me that ps-print options cannot be turned
> on from the menu bar.
>
> A few comments, based on a very superficial reading.
>
>   - The documentation should IMHO be moved into a separate Texinfo
>     manual.  It is unreasonable to have so much useful information in
>     a commentary as plain text: it lacks indices, cross-references,
>     and other means of looking up info in an efficient manner.

It's a good idea.

BTW, there are other packages which have a long documentation comment, should
these packages also move the documentation into a separate TeXInfo manual?

>   - The menu-bar items should be put under File->Print, not under
>     Tools.  (The latter was correct for Emacs 19 and 20, but not
>     anymore.)  I also think that the options should be under a
>     separate submenu, but that's a minor issue.

I'll address this on next printing version.

>   - The menu-bar menu items should have help text.

I'll address this also on next printing version.

>   - Why doesn't pr-temp-dir use temporary-file-directory if that's
>     available?  The way the code works now, a user will have to
>     customize both pr-temp-dir and temporary-file-directory, if the
>     defaults aren't appropriate.  Also, why do you DOSify the file
>     name in pr-temp-dir (as well as many other file names used in the
>     package)?

The pr-temp-dir has the following setting:

(defcustom pr-temp-dir
  (pr-dosify-path
   ;; hacked from `temporary-file-directory' variable in files.el
   (file-name-as-directory
    (or (getenv "TMPDIR") (getenv "TMP") (getenv "TEMP")
        (cond (ps-windows-system "c:/temp")
              ((memq system-type '(vax-vms axp-vms)) "SYS$SCRATCH:")
              (t "/tmp")
              ))))
  "*Specify a directory for temporary files during printing."
  :type '(directory :tag "Temporary Directory")
  :group 'printing)

So, by default, pr-temp-dir and temporary-file-directory has the same value.

>   - Shouldn't pr-interface be a separate file?

It could, but I'm not sure this is a good idea.

Thanks,

Vinicius