Does malloc use mmap on GNU/Linux?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Does malloc use mmap on GNU/Linux?
Date: Fri, 30 Nov 2001 11:27:00 -0700 (MST)

A week ago I used breakpoints to ascertain that malloc
was not using mmap when Emacs allocates large buffers.
This is quite a pain.  Emacs turns off use of ralloc
on GNU/Linux on the grounds that malloc will call mmap.
If this does not work, we need to make Emacs use ralloc
or make some other change.

Perhaps this problem is limited to the year-old stable Debian
system I am running.  Could other people please make some experiments
so I can see if this problem exists also on other GNU/Linux distributions
and on newer versions of Debian?

To test this, try breakpoints in mmap and mmap64, visit a large file,
and see if it hits the breakpoints.