Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Eliminating "changed in Emacs outside of Customize"
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 01:39:55 -0500

    Something I discovered recently that is perhaps related (perhaps not), and
    I'm not sure is documented: subsequent defcustom's redefine the `standard'
    value of the variable (that is, the value that you can reset to with Reset
    to Standard). The current value is not changed; only the `standard' value is
    changed.

That seems correct to me.  In particular, it means you can edit the
defcustom and eval the edited one, and the edit takes effect.