Re: customize-rouge output with emacs -q --no-site-file

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: customize-rouge output with emacs -q --no-site-file
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 13:06:22 -0600 (CST)

Lennart Borgman wrote:

   My suggestion was of course only for the "Erase C" problem, but I
   do believe that this should be solved and I see no big dangers with
   the solution.

The danger is that it eliminates the "Changed outside Custom" warning.
At least the hooks, lists and alists among the variables are
absolutely _not_ safe to set through Custom (or with setq for that
matter), even after applying the patch I posted.  You have to set them
in your .emacs using add-hook (for hooks) or add-to-list (for lists).
If you do not try to set the variables through Custom, you do not run
in the "Erase Customization" problem either.

Some proposed changes might make it safe to set them through Custom.
But it is not clear whether they are feasible and certainly not
whether they will be implemented for 21.4.

If they are not implemented for 21.4, then I believe that we should
make the "Changed outside Custom" warning much more explicit.  Many
people do not even realize that "Changed outside Custom" is a warning
not to try to customize it through Custom.

Sincerely,

Luc.