Re: find-file-hook as illustration of Custom problems

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: find-file-hook as illustration of Custom problems
Date: Sat, 5 Feb 2005 21:26:46 -0600 (CST)

>From my previous message:

   So it looks like we should also give the user veto
   power over code and implement `remove-hook' and `delete' functionality
   through Custom, adding to the complexity.

Maybe we could avoid that additional complexity if non-preloaded code
strictly adhered to the conventions proposed in another message and if
preloaded code put, for all involved list-vars, all elements of the
involved hook, list or alist, that should be user-overridable in
custom-list-var (instead of just in list-var).  That way, these
elements would _not_ appear in the Custom buffer as "untouchable".

We are talking about approximately ten preloaded variables of this
type, so it should be not too much of a hassle to treat them
separately.

This way, not too much complexity is added to the original proposal.
I am afraid that implementing the original proposal might nevertheless
be more than complex enough.

Sincerely,

Luc.