Re: find-file-hook as illustration of Custom problems

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: find-file-hook as illustration of Custom problems
Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:01:52 -0500

    > For the case of hooks, we could imagine changing cus-edit.el so that
    > edits made using Custom only affect elements that were installed using
    > Custom.  Any other elements could be invisible and untouchable; or
    > they might be displayed in a separate way as "program-added hooks" and
    > untouchable through the usual Custom features.  In effect, this means
    > treating a single list as if it were the combination of too list
    > values, one to be edited through Custom and one to be updated
    > by programs.
    >
    > I don't know how hard this would be.

    Would not this require changes to the run hook functions too?

My proposal does not involve any changes to run-hooks.
I am talking about a change entirely within cus-edit.el.

    In that case
    it might be more simple to add a macro (or function) used for creating
    hooks, maybe "define-hook" that added the normal hook and a second hook used
    by Custom. (This would of course also require changes to the run hook
    functions.)

It should not be necessary to change all the definitions of hooks.
It would be much better to avoid that.  So let's look only at solutions
that do not require changing all the definitions of hooks.