AW: New undo element (fun . args)

From: klaus.berndl
Subject: AW: New undo element (fun . args)
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 13:32:01 +0100

>A _lot_ of people are annoyed at the way `undo' also redos things.
>For that reason, a package redo.el exists, and people get told about
>it frequently on Emacs lists and groups.

>I consider it likely that with the new changes, this package will no
>longer work.  I also have detected the variable undo-no-redo (not
>customizable, though) which wouls appear from its name and description
>to solve one half of the problem, the remaining half being that an
>actual redo command working in the opposite direction would be
>required.

>Even if we don't find an actual keybinding for that (one could see
>what redo.el uses), using undo with a negative argument could be used
>instead.

>Since we are likely to break redo.el, wouldn't it be sensible to
>provide the functionality from within Emacs once and for all?  It does
>not seem like much would be missing for implementing this, and one
>could even make do without an extra keybinding by using negative
>prefixes to undo.

>From a users point of view: This undo-circle of current Emacs is one
of the most annoying stuff of Emacs - all users of Emacs i know
agree with me concerning this undo-behavior and the lack of a redo.
Therefore for us the redo.el package is very important so either
redo.el should work after this internal undo-changes or - and much
better and as David already said: "It *would* be sensible to
provide the functionality from within Emacs once and for all" - at least
IMHO....

Ciao,
Klaus