Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmati

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user'scustomfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 20:23:59 +0000 (UTC)

   If we do split Erase Customization in two: a) "Get All" > "Standard" plus b)
   "Save All", then there is the question of how "Save All" should act wrt
   values in the buffer that happen to be the same as the standard values.

Clearly, when we tell Emacs to go to the default, it should do so.
That means deleting everything that is in a .emacs file and putting in
a commented-out statement that says

  ;; All customizations have been reset to the default.

It makes no sense to copy the default values from the Emacs sources to
the initialization file.

It does make sense to remind a person that he or she once had
customized Emacs, but decided to get rid of them.  (And presumably,
the old customizations will be saved in a back up file; that is a
benefit of rewriting the initialization file with just a comment in
it.)

   ... on a case-by-case basis. A user might well somtimes want to Get
   the Standard value and then save that value ...

That is a very different action than getting rid of all
customizations.  That involves deleting only the existing
initialization expression.  The other `setq', `custom-set-*', `defun',
etc. expressions remain.

--
    Robert J. Chassell
    address@hidden                         GnuPG Key ID: 004B4AC8