Re: Weirdness with Emacs' X window id

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Weirdness with Emacs' X window id
Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 22:25:18 +0100

Robert J. Chassell wrote:

Peter Heslin <address@hidden> wrote,

  If I do emacs -q --no-site-file with a month-old CVS checkout, and
  then M-x eshell:

  ~ $ xdpyinfo |grep -i focus
  focus:  window 0x1400015, revert to Parent
  ~ $ wmctrl -l |grep -i emacs
  0x01400014 1 aideen Emacs *eshell*

  where wmctrl is a command-line program and the -l switch makes it list
  all current windows.  Note that xdpyinfo and wmctrl disagree as to
what should be the ID number for the single Emacs frame.
  ... Emacs is the only application I run that behaves like this.

This also happens with

Today's GNU Emacs CVS snapshot, Mon, 2005 Feb  7  14:18 UTC
GNU Emacs 21.3.50.51 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.4.14)
started with

   emacs -Q

Very strange.  I did not expect it.  I do not know what is going on.

xdpyinfo apparently prints the client leader window id, but wmctrl prints the top level id. It is normal to have the client leader window the same as the top level window, but Emacs does not really have one top level window that can be used for that purpose. Frames come and go, and the client leader window is expected to exist as long as the application exists. So the Emacs client leader window is a hidden window not seen.

   Jan D.