Re: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Changed outside --> set, in Customize UI
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2005 14:17:42 -0500

    But we have no choice: _If_ we try to determine _by code_ who is doing
    the deciding, then we need some objective criterion (we don't want to
    ask the user, about each change that is made, "Did you intend

Why do we need to discuss this question?  I thougth we were talking
about a question of advice to programmers.  Advice to programmers does
not need to be based on a mechanical distinction.

    You seem to agree in general, but you also seem to suggest that the
    particular program code could be examined to determine intention - if
    it offers the user a choice, then presumably the user is in charge; if
    it does not, then the _program is deciding_. Is that what you mean?

That seems to be pretty close to a restatement of what I said.
Whether it is exactly equivalent, I am not sure.

I am overloaded today and your message is too long for me to read.
Sorry, I don't have much time available for this now.