Re: Customize buttons that change user's customfileshouldaskforconfirmat

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Customize buttons that change user's customfileshouldaskforconfirmation
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 08:25:20 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>

>     Why not let the menu-bar menu have entries for working with the
"current
>     option". The "current option" could be that where the point is. (I
>     implemented this kind of functionality in my proposal long ago for a
>     redressed Custom GUI.)
>
> That's possible, but I don't think it's desirable.
>
> That is not standard in any UI I'm familiar with. A context-sensitive menu
> is usually associated with a mouse button, because you are generally using
> the mouse to manipulate things associated with that context. This is the
> practice nearly everywhere in MS Windows, for instance.

I do not think it is that clear. Options dialogs in MS Windows do not have a
menu at all. It is also quite common that menus operate on the current item
(for example in a mail program).

A problem is of course that it must be clear what item the menus operates
on. In case of the Custom GUI what I have done is to let the menus for the
current item include the name of the item.