Re: Further problem with recent changes to custom-magic-alist.

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: Further problem with recent changes to custom-magic-alist.
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2005 18:01:57 -0500 (EST)

         You have set this %c and saved it in your init file.

   _The_ most important thing one needs to know when trying to save a
   previously saved option to a new value or reset it to standard, is
   whether it was saved _by Custom_, because that affects whether trying
   to save a new value or resetting to standard is guaranteed to work.

Hmmm ... I am confused.  When I look at my .emacs file I see

    (custom-set-faces
      ;; ...
     '(Buffer-menu-buffer-face ((t (:weight normal))))
     '(Info-title-1-face ((t (:background "DodgerBlue4" :foreground "white"
:overline nil :underline nil :slant normal :weight normal :height 193 :width
normal))))
      ;; ... )

[[The poor pretty printing is not mine.  The automatically written code
should have incorporated a pretty printer with a fill column of 70.
On looking at it, emacs/lisp/emacs-lisp/pp.el lacks a variable for
`fill-column' with a default value of 70; its addition should go on
the emacs/etc/TODO list.]]

When I want to change the background color from "DodgerBlue4" to
"mediumblue" (as I did once) I simply change the expression and
re-evaluate it.  If I like the new color (I didn't) I save it.  If I
do not like the new color I revert it and save.

As far as I know, when you set and save a value,  you get the
"last value saved from customize" (to quote emacs/lisp/cus-edit.el).

The other possible states do not really matter.  What matters is that
Emacs evaluates the `custom-set-faces expression and saves it.

It is nice to know about the other possible states.  It is good to
read the source code; but many novices will not.  But some of them
will look at the message.

Hence, it is a good  message.

--
    Robert J. Chassell