Re: follow-link in grep buffer

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: follow-link in grep buffer
Date: Sat, 26 Feb 2005 03:50:39 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>> I have added a new option mouse-1-click-in-non-selected-windows
>> that controls whether mouse-1 click in non-selected windows
>> will follow links.  Default is t.
>
> I think it should be purely and simply removed.
> It addresses the "click to focus window" problem but nobody ever complained
> about it (contrary to the problem of "click to focus frame" which is still
> open).

But that's what the x-mouse-click-focus-ignore-position variable is
for.  And we also have focus-follows-mouse to have Emacs be able to do
what it takes to give a frame focus.

Anyway, I am complete against automatisms that get things right 70% of
all the time immediately, with the user being unable to predict the
behavior 90% of the time, so that he needs to check every time he uses
the feature what actually happened.  If there is a braindead
consistent rule that gets things right even only 40% of the time, but
does not require switching on the brain or crosschecking for
correcting the thing efficiently about 60% of the time, this is
preferable in my book.

If I am talking to a person, I don't save time if he tries completing
my sentences for me.  And similar rules hold with computers, unless we
are talking about seriously disabled users for which any correcting
action takes lots of time.  Only in that setting make complicated
second-guessing rules any sense.