Re: shell-command-on-region and coding

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: shell-command-on-region and coding
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 06:23:36 +0300

> Date: Wed, 06 Sep 2006 23:43:23 +0200
> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>
>       (shell-command-on-region fstart end command temp-buffer nil)
>

> The buffer in which this is run has buffer-file-coding-system
> iso-latin-1-unix. Before the command above coding-system-for-write is
> set to iso-latin-1-unix.
>
> Tidy get the information that the coding system is "latin1". Still on
> all Swedish characters (latin 1) I get the error
>
>      Warning: discarding invalid character code 129
>
> from tidy. This is not the character value of the Swedish characters.

This is not enough info.  Please show several characters in the region
passed to Tidy, as they are reported by describe-char and the codes for
those same characters that Tidy complains about as ``invalid character
code''.

Or are you saying that Tidy claims that _all_ Swedish characters have
code 129, regardless of what's in the region?