Re: local keymap patch for key-binding

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: local keymap patch for key-binding
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 21:49:58 +0200

>     There is one concern that I have: the type of the "location"
>     argument.  This currently is a key sequence.  But it might make
>     more sense to turn this into the "location" data structure that
>     `event-start' and/or `event-end' return.  This would make it
>     much easier to feed lookup-key with data produced from, say,
>     `posn-at-x-y'.
>
> That seems like a good idea.  (We call that a "position".)

Yes, I already noticed and changed this accordingly.  It actually
shrinked the size of the code.

>     In order to get this data easier, it might make sense to define a
>     convenience function.
>
>     (defun key-event (key)
>        "Return event from moused-base key sequence KEY."
>        (and (vectorp key)
>           (if (consp (aref key 0))
>               (aref key 0)
>             (and
>               (symbolp (aref key 0))
>               (> (length key) 1)
>               (consp (aref key 1))
>               (aref key 1)))))
>
> I have nothing against it, but do we really need it?
> Is there a place that needs to call this, outside of the code
> of Fkey_binding itself?

There will be several places in help.el and possibly mouse.el which
will need to do this operation after I finished adapting them to do
the right thing in all cases.

This can be decided when I am preparing the patches for those files.