RE: fancy splash screen

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: fancy splash screen
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 09:00:32 -0700

    > "Emacs" in "About Emacs" is not redundant in any way. If you have
    > multiple buffers, there is nothing that implies that one named only
    > "About" has help about Emacs.

    Most applications I know have exactly one "About" menu, and Emacs does
    not seem to be different in that respect.

It's not about the menu; it's about the buffer name. There are lots of
buffers whose content is "about" something, and some Emacs libraries might
use that term in buffer names, for various purposes. You might have buffers
"*About Foo Bar*" and "*About Toto*". The buffer about Emacs should be
called "*About Emacs*" (possibly with "GNU"). A buffer name of just
"*About*" does not clearly indicate what it is.

    > Is it good or bad to use "*...*"? I don't know. I tend to think it's
    > not needed here.

    Standard naming convention for buffers without associated files.

Right. Thx. So "GNU Emacs" was also a poor choice for the buffer name for
that reason.

BTW, I think I've read about that convention explicitly somewhere, but I
can't seem to find it in the Elisp manual. Shouldn't that be mentioned in
node Tips or node Coding Conventions?

Similarly, I don't see it mentioned in the Emacs manual. Shouldn't it be
mentioned along with the use of space as first character for internal
buffers (e.g. in node Select Buffer)? Node Buffers is perhaps a good place
to mention use of both `*' and initial space in buffer names. That node
gives examples of `*' buffers, without ever pointing out that they are
buffers that are not normally visiting files. Another possibility is node
List Buffers, which points out that *Help* is not visiting a file (but does
not make the connection with `*' in the name).