Re: save-buffer when directory doesn't exist

From: Jason Spiro
Subject: Re: save-buffer when directory doesn't exist
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 19:38:24 -0400

I just checked in a slightly modified version.  Could you test it on your
GNU Linux machine?

I like the new error message much better.  But now that I think about
it, the error message could be improved even more.  Instead of
"/ho,e/j/Desktop/: no such directory", how about this?

Cannot save /ho,e/jspiro/Desktop/todo.txt because directory /ho,e does not exist

I did 4 things different in my suggested example:  I used the word
"because";  I added a verbose explanation of why it failed;  I left
out the trailing slash on the directory name since I think it looks
better that way;  and I only mentioned the nonexistent directory /ho,e
and not its subdirectories.

By the way, what can be done about the annoying "can't auto-save"
messages?  I wish emacs would just auto-save to /tmp by default.

Cheers,
Jason