Re: footnote-style latin doesn't renumber

From: Andreas Roehler
Subject: Re: footnote-style latin doesn't renumber
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 14:13:24 +0200

Stephen J. Turnbull schrieb:
Andreas Roehler writes:

 > Symbols after "3" seem odd to me. After "ยง" it starts
 > numbering again with "1". Strange.
> > Maybe I ignore what latin-style means?

It means "footnotes labeled with characters available in Latin-1".
That means with a very small number of footnotes you can get pretty
superscript numerals for the labels.

The use of non-numeric labels is due to the fact that you can only
count to 3 with Latin-1 superscripts, and recycling when you run out
of labels is common to all of the "set of characters"-based footnote
styles.

IIRC there is an option that allows doubling the footnote label when
recycling, but that would look strange with numeric labels.

Thanks.

As footnote will mostly be used by none-programmers,
maybe it's better to rename this style.

Usually a latin style with numbers will conceived as
Roman, which is not at stake here.

Maybe rename to "superscript"?

Too I think it's a strange selection of chars.

Learned meanwhile a wider range of unicode
superscript numbers is available.

U+2070 ^(0), U+2074 to U+207F

However, only manage

Char: ^(4) (70905, #o212371, #x114f9, file ...)

to get displayed.

(With GNU Emacs 22.0.97.1, but it might be my fault...)

So maybe integrating this char and drop the rest is a
step forward?

Andreas Roehler