Re: arc-lzh-exe.el -- archive-mode on lzh self-extracting exes

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: arc-lzh-exe.el -- archive-mode on lzh self-extracting exes
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 09:46:33 +1000

> 1. Detect them automatically (probably complex).

The files have a nice marker early on, so the archive-exe-p I proposed
is
        - only .exe filename
        - "MZ", which is a DOS exe
        - "LHA's SFX", as tested by the "file" command

It'd be possible to add the search through the file looking for
"-lh5-" which is the start of the archive part proper (per
archive-lzh-exe-summarize), but I expect "LHA's SFX" is enough (it's
in a spot which I think is normally either "reserved" or relocation
table).

Can my archive-exe-p func go in, even if it's not enabled, so that
those who are confident about that test can customize it into the
magic alist?

> M-x archive-mode

In which case could .exe or lzh .exe or whatever get a mention in
files.texi, so that it's not a secret?