RE: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enableinElispmanualindex]

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: address@hidden: RE: cannot find :enableinElispmanualindex]
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 17:10:44 -0700

>     All I meant was that the cross-pages search would
>     not itself be just static HTML code. We agree: search can be
>    _implemented_ for HTML pages.
>
> Now I see what you mean.  You seem to be talking about making `i' work
> in an unmodified browser.  I was talking about making it work in an
> Info reader which was a variant of a browser.  That is much easier.
>
> Your idea might be good too, as long as it doesn't make the HTML
> too ugly.

Yes, there are at least two possibilities:

1. design and implement a replacement for Info that is based
   on (X)HTML

2. add ways for standard Web browsers to take advantage of
   features that Info has, beyond clicking links: index
   search and other cross-page searches, keyboard access
   to follow links (e.g. HTML `accesskey' attribute)

If some thought is given to #2 when thinking about #1, then #1 can perhaps
benefit from some of the same implementation.