RE: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: display.texi: (<line>,<col>) isn't documented.
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 08:30:36 -0700

> >  column only   -   67x
> >  line only     -   234y
> >  line & column -   67x234y
>
> It's abnormal to put the column first (for example compiler error
> messages), so this would be confusing.

We could certainly decide on either order, but I cannot imagine that 234y67x
is more universal or less "abnormal" than 67x234y.

The main point is that either order would be clear (i.e. would not "be
confusing"), because of the explicit dimension indicators `x' and `y'. The
same is not true of the other suggestions (except for `C' and `L').

What's the connection with compiler error messages? This is interactive
feedback about cursor position in a buffer. In compiler output, you are
primarily (as in first) interested in the line number. That's not the case
here - you might be interested in either or both. Yes, it would be
"abnormal" for compiler messages to list the column number first. I don't
see why that's pertinent here.