Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 10:23:21 -0400

    Gmome libraries - If Emacs where to use more Gnome libraries instead of
having
    its own version of some code (session management, font handling, dialogs,
    configuration, themes, widgets, printing), Emacs would benefit
automatically
    when these libraries are updated.

To eliminate Emacs's own code is out of the question unless we wanted
to make Emacs work ONLY with Gnome.  We could make Emacs use Gnome
facilities optionally, in the cases where it is worth the trouble.

    - Printing, basically Emacs does not have a "modern" print dialog.

I find those print dialogs inconvenient if every print operation has
to use them.  However, it would be nice to be able to use such a
dialog to do print configuration when one wants to do it.

How hard is that to implement?

    - Fonts, AA fonts and respecting the fonts selected by the user in his
desktop
    preferences, including switching fonts on the fly when the user changes his
    preferences.  A font dialog chooser is missing.

Would it make sense to use that font dialog
to configure faces in Emacs?

    - Session management.  We have that now in 22.1, but Emacs does not restore
    the frame layout as it was.

Could you explain that failure more clearly?

    Drag and drop - We can't drag text or images from Emacs to another
application.

That is definitely a bug.  Have you implemented this?

    Now some of these are being done (AA fonts), some I have patches for
(better
    theme handling, dnd),

What aspect of theme handling have you improved?