Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Compiling emacs 22 on ubuntu 7.0.4
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 10:23:24 +0200

Richard Stallman skrev:
I have machines where no libpng or lib(un)gif are installed. But I don't need that functionallity in Emacs. So why should Emacs reuire those libraries?
Is there some particular reason why you want to avoid installing those
libraries there?

I would have to install them as a regular user, and then pass on correct -I and -L to configure so it finds them.

Kastrup wrote:

    I don't mind being able to specify --without-libpng and/or
    --without-libgif, but the default behavior makes it somewhat too easy
    to overlook that one is not generating a fully-capable Emacs for a
    given platform.

I agree.

--without-gif is OK for me also.

        Jan D.