Re: Post-22.1 development?

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: Post-22.1 development?
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 08:09:16 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Does someone have another idea for a way to avoid the need
>>> to change the programs that operate on the environment?
>
>> I fear it is even more complex.  Processes running on remote hosts
>> (started by process-file, for example) would need a different process
>> environment but the one inherited from the local host.  This is an item
>> being on my wish list for a long time.
>
> I don't understand how that relates.  And I don't understand why it can't be
> done in the process-file file-name-handler.

Tramp manages it locally already. The point is when it comes to
environment variables a user wants to be set on the remote host. He
could write of course

(let ((process-envrionment ...))
   (setenv XXX ...)
   (process-file ...))

But $XXX would be set for the local case as well, because Tramp must
start with a local call-process or start-process. This could result in
undesired behaviour.

For the most obvious case, Tramp offers the variable tramp-remote-path.
People could apply something like this before calling process-file:

     (add-to-list 'tramp-remote-path "/usr/local/perl/bin")

But a more general mechanism, applicable for any environment variable on
the remote host, would be desirable, IMHO.

>         Stefan

Best regards, Michael.