Re: [Emacs-commit] emacs/lisp thingatpt.el ChangeLog

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: [Emacs-commit] emacs/lisp thingatpt.el ChangeLog
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 18:27:23 -0700

Karl Fogel <address@hidden> writes:
> Log message:
>  * thingatpt.el: Add support for email addresses (`email').
>    (thing-at-point, bounds-of-thing-at-point): Document `email' support.
>    (thing-at-point-email-regexp): New variable.
>    (`email'): Put `bounds-of-thing-at-point' and `thing-at-point'
>    properties on this symbol, with lambda forms for values.

Note that further improvement is possible on this new featurelet.

Currently, it matches most email addresses seen in the wild, but not
every address allowed by RFC 2822 (I don't believe it matches any
addresses not matched by RFC2822, although not 100% sure about that).
As we discussed in this thread

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2007-02/threads.html#01053

RFC 2822 allows many characters that, in practice, people often use as
delimiters, so I don't feel that full standards-compliance is best for
our users in this case.  However, we at least could have a compliance
mode, as a non-default option.  I haven't implemented that in this
change, but am not opposed to it.

Also, regarding Andreas Roehler's question from the above thread:

> BTW: Does RFC2822 indeed require at least two chars before
> the `@'? I'm not sure about it, but can't see that.

It does not require that, and in fact I know of real-life email
addresses that have only one char before the '@'.  Thanks for
noticing; I committed a fix in a subsequent revision.

-Karl