Re: Saving markup formats

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 00:13:10 +0200

Juri Linkov wrote:
A good embedded XML parser would be needed. I've thought about taking
time out to add libxml2 support natively to emacs. That would do the
job very well.
Did you try nxml-mode?

Do you mean `nxml-parse-file'?  I find it more restrictive than
`xml-parse-file' from xml.el.  It fails on more XML files.

No, I meant using nxml-mode. It parses the buffer as you type.

But maybe that does not fit what you are searching for.

Do you know a tidy-like XML parser for Emacs that would correct
not well-formed XML and not choke on them?

Sorry, no. But nxml-mode has the ability to continue parsing after an error. It just marks the errors (with red underlines) in the buffer however, it does not correct them.

That parser, an rng-parser, is very tightly coupled with nxml-mode however. I suggested earlier to break it up to make it easier to handle multiple modes.