Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Syncing Gnus and Emacs repositories
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 09:24:58 +0200

[Relevant experience, thanks for that.]

> If Richard sustains his veto of merging emacs-unicode-2 and other
> potentially destabilizing work on the trunk, then, based on that
> experience, I see only two practical choices.  (1) Accept that the
> trunk will stay in feature slush for a while, and work on the
> branch(es) that interest you in separate workspaces until permission
> is given to merge to trunk.  (2) Switch to a distributed SCM like
> Arch or git for cooperative work on merged workspaces, and use CVS
> only to maintain continuity of communication with the rest of the
> world and those whose current work is focused on the 22.x branch or
> features admissible on the trunk in CVS.  (Subversion is not a
> panacea here.)

Subversion would not really help since it is basically "CVS done
right" (TM) and thus the problems are similar.  Distributed SCMs are
actually not a matter of developer policy: the adoption of them
basically remains the individuals' choice.  I am currently fighting
with git-archimport in order to get a useful starting point for
working with multi-tty and its history, but might have to do a direct
CVS import into git instead.

--
David Kastrup