Re: elib -> emacs

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: elib -> emacs
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 14:28:11 +0200

Am Dienstag, 19. Juni 2007 12:41 schrieb Richard Stallman:
> I presume that tar file is the distribution of our elib package.
> It is not part of Emacs.  The question is what parts of it to merge
> into Emacs.

My attention here results from the package as such and
an impression, it would be helpful for
elisp-programmers to have collections of
general-purpose resources.

For novices this might be of special interest.
Currently general-purpose functions are written again
and again, because existing are scattered and people
ignore them. See already mentioned string-strip
facilities.

In this context also the different name of already merged
functions matters:

elib's `string-replace-match' AFAIU is easier to call
 and remember than the (slightly changed)
 `dired-string-replace-match' now in dired.el.

Andreas Roehler