RE: how about a find-library-other-window command?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: how about a find-library-other-window command?
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:36:53 -0700

> > How about a `find-library-other-window' command?
>
> Sure.  Although I'm wondering: are there many users you use both find-file
> and find-file-other-window, as well as other <foo> vs
> <foo>-other-window commands?
>
> I'd be happy to change all that: remove/deprecate the <foo>-other-window
> commands and make the <foo> commands use either the same window or another
> depending on some user configuration.

I use both. I think you (Stefan) tend to have all windows be dedicated
automatically, IIRC, but I do not, although I do use non-nil
`pop-up-frames', so a buffer is displayed for the first time, a priori, in
its own frame.

I do use Emacs windows sometimes, and I do also visit a different file in
the same window sometimes. That is, I do sometimes use `C-x C-f', even
though I more often use `C-x 4 f'.

So, unless there is a way that configuration would also allow the
flexibility for users that we have now, I don't think it's a good idea to
just get rid of the separate commands and depend on a configuration option.
It would be an especially bad idea, I think, if a _single_ option were used
to configure all possible other-window behavior. That is, I don't think
people necessarily always use `foo-other-window' even if they do always use
`bar-other-window'.