Re: Saving markup formats

From: Nic James Ferrier
Subject: Re: Saving markup formats
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:23:55 +0100

Oliver Scholz <address@hidden> writes:

> What I, personally, think about this UI-wise doesn't really matter.
> Though, matters of taste aside, it will be an interesting task to make
> this UI secure against inadvertent and unnoticed changes by the user
> to the document structure (for instance by yanking text at the wrong
> spot) that could cause trouble. And by "trouble" I mean things like:
> the formatting of a 200p. master thesis going south half an hour
> before the final dead line.
>
> Sorry. I should really shut up now. I don't see the paradagm shift
> coming that I deem necessary.

What do you think about the idea of an Emacs mode based on properties
representing styles as I outlined earlier?

The tiny OpenDoc example:

#("Nic Ferrier - CV" 0 16 (element h2))
#("Nic is a hacker with some crazy ideas" 0 37 (element para style p1))

I think this would work for RTF as well. Clearly we wouldn't need an
XML parser for RTF.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk