Re: A wish, a plea

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: A wish, a plea
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:37:17 +0300

> From: Karl Fogel <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 01:33:42 -0700
> Cc: Sascha Wilde <address@hidden>, Hacksaw <address@hidden>,
>       address@hidden, Jason Rumney <address@hidden>
>
> David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:
> > As for the default buffer to use: how about using a buffer *unnamed*
> > that will be in text-mode, that will ask for being saved when one
> > kills Emacs, and that will ask for a filename when being saved (the
> > file name becoming then the base for the buffer name)?
> >
> > Retain *scratch* including the initial message.
>
> This all sounds great to me!

It sounds awful to me.  It reminds me Notepad and Word with their
pesky UNNAMED and DOCUMENT1 defaults.

Did anyone in this longish thread suggest to simply turn on auto-save
in *scratch*, like we do in *mail* buffers?  If not, would that solve
the OP's problem without any significant nasty side effects?