Re: menu system in recent Emacs?

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: menu system in recent Emacs?
Date: Thu, 03 May 2012 08:01:51 -0400

On Thu, 03 May 2012 08:18:21 +0200 Stefan Reichör <address@hidden> wrote:

SR> There is also ido - it shows all candidates:

   (ido-completing-read
    "Pick a color: "
    '("red" "white" "blue" "black" "brown"))

That's nice, shows the list immediately, uses colors, and doesn't
require `ido-mode' to be on.  It has one problem, though: it's not
widely used in Emacs, unlike `completing-read', so I'm concerned that it
wouldn't be familiar to new users.  The ido UI is too different from
standard completion in Emacs and elsewhere, e.g. shell completion.  For
instance, TAB will complete AND select the choice if it's unique.
`completing-read' and most others will complete on TAB but require RET
to select.  Another difference is that the up and down arrows select

So I will stick with `completing-read' to make it easier for the users
and they can simply use ido-mode (which provides `ido-completing-read'
to replace `completing-read' IIUC) to get the colors and ido UI.

Ted