RE: Patch for more useful C-x } and C-x { behavior

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Patch for more useful C-x } and C-x { behavior
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 10:47:46 -0700

> >> That's great!  Could we include it in Emacs?
> >
> > Of course.  I suggested it long ago, as part of this post (see #12):
                                                              ^^^^^^^^^

> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg01153.html
>
> I'll be honest and say I didn't read all of it, as I have a
> very short attention span, but as I understand it you want to
> make this sort of "global" to keybindings such as `C-x o' and
> others.

No, I was only trying to point you to #12, the part of the message where I
mentioned such a `repeat-command' function.

> Would it be possible to include the generic code you have and then make
> use of it on a case-by-case basis?

Of course.  `repeat-command' is a general function and entirely separable from
the rest of what was discussed in that mail thread.

Sorry for side-tracking you.  I was not trying to revive that discussion, but
only point out that I already proposed this function (and so yes, from my point
of view it could be included in Emacs).

As I said, I use `repeat-command' a lot, myself.  So I know that it can be used
in different contexts that are unrelated.

And the fact that it is not in Emacs means that I end up redefining it in
different files.  No big deal - it's short.  I do likewise for things like
`remove-if'. ;-)  (No, not trying to revive that debate either.)