RE: C-h C-b to view "Reporting Bugs" section of the manual

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-h C-b to view "Reporting Bugs" section of the manual
Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 18:57:41 -0700

>  > `C-h M-k' for `describe-keymap'
>
> Speaking of redundant bindings (C-h m ...)

Not at all.  Have you tried it?  There is nothing similar anywhere, AFAIK.  It
is not like `C-x b' (current bindings, all maps) or `C-h m' (mode description -
variable and always incomplete wrt a keymap).  Try finding the keys bound in a
minibuffer keymap, in a human-readable form.

The closest thing you have is for a prefix key: `C-x C-h'.  The point with `C-h
M-k' is to "see" the bindings for a given keymap variable.  (Yes, that's
probably more useful for Emacs programmers than the average Emacs user.)

>  > Instead of binding `C-h C-b' to take you to (emacs)
>  > `Bugs', I'd sooner see us add a link to (emacs) `Bugs' in
>  > the doc string of `report-emacs-bug'.
>
> Why there?  That has the same problems as above (except that links
> aren't a scarce resource).  The link should be in the blurb that
> appears when you invoke r-e-b, where it is obviously useful and
> usefully obvious.

That could be useful too.  It's not either/or.

When you look for the doc about a command (including `r-e-b'), why not have
immediately a set of links to its doc in the manuals (with the manual names and
nodes in the links).