Re: Inefficiency in Bgotoifnil byte-code instruction

From: Tom Tromey
Subject: Re: Inefficiency in Bgotoifnil byte-code instruction
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 11:22:14 -0600

>>>>> "Stefan" == Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

Stefan> Looks OK.  I'm not too fond of all the backslashes and the `value'
Stefan> argument to DEFINE, but I guess they're OK.

I took the "value" approach because the bytecode values are fixed, and I
thought it was safer to be explicit about them.

The backslashes are just needed because I made one big #define.
Another approach (used in gcc, gdb, etc) is to put the opcode defines
into a ".def" file and then include it in multiple places.
I can do that if you prefer.

Stefan> One more nitpick.  You say:

>> +/* If BYTE_CODE_THREADED is defined, then the interpreter will be
>> +   indirect threaded, using GCC's computed goto extension.  This is
>> +   incompatible with BYTE_CODE_SAFE and BYTE_CODE_METER.  */

Stefan> But, IIUC there is no incompatibility, really.  It's just that the
Stefan> current code doesn't handle that particular combination, right?
Stefan> If so, please make it clear in the comment.

Correct.  I'll fix.

Tom