Re: Emacs on OS X development

From: Jan Djärv
Subject: Re: Emacs on OS X development
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 12:02:36 +0200

13 jul 2012 kl. 02:23 skrev John Wiegley:

>>> back to nsport. The difference is that noticeable. We have been hoping the
>>> nsport get better. It seems 3 years have passed.
>
>> Waiting ain't gonna fix it, indeed.
>
> Stefan, I want to bring up again the possibility of switching the Mac port
> over to Yamamoto's code.  Is there any reason not to?  I just tried the ns
> port again, and within minutes couldn't tolerate it:

Compability with GNUStep is one reason.  I havent looked at the lates Mac-Port,
but previously it lacked features like bidi.

> 1. The colors are washed out, compared to Mac-Port.

Please provide screenshots in a bug report.  I have not see this.  Also, make
sure the bug remains when starting with -Q.

> 2. The leading on Courier is all wrong.  Example: The pixels from the top of
>    capital letters run into the mode-line.  I need to set line-spacing to 3
>    just to make text look decent.

Some people report corrupted rendering, some have no problem.  Obviosly there
is some dependence on the osx version used, or perhaps the language settings.
But as it is not easily reproducable by the few presons that fixes NS-port bugs
it is not easy to fix.

> 3. If I switch to *scratch* and turn on flyspell, I can out-type Emacs very
>    easily, the lag is that bad.

That is a real problem.  I am looking in to this, but my time is very limited.

        Jan D.