Re: term-mode: allowing reflowable text

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: term-mode: allowing reflowable text
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2012 08:57:38 +0800

Michael Hoffman <address@hidden> writes:

> In term-mode, when the terminal process supplies more text than can
> fit on a line, term-emulate-terminal puts text into the buffer up to
> the current number of columns, inserts a hard newline, and starts
> again on the next line.
>
> I have modified my own copy of term-emulate-terminal to just keep
> putting text into the buffer without these hard breaks. This allows me
> to resize the window later and text produced in this way will reflow
> dynamically, which is very convenient for most programs I run,
> avoiding new awkward soft line breaks when the window becomes smaller
> later.
>
> Would the maintainers be interested in a patch that implements this
> behavior depending on the value of some variable (perhaps called
> term-add-hard-newline, defaulting to t/the current behavior)?

Yes, this sounds useful.  Please send the patch to bug-gnu-emacs.

Note that if the patch is longer than about 20 lines of changes, we can
only include it in Emacs if you make a copyright assignment; I hope you
will be willing to do that.  But first, please post the patch to
bug-gnu-emacs for inspection.