Re: Emacs insists on starting dbus?

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: Emacs insists on starting dbus?
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 23:09:43 +0200 (CEST)

[Jan Djärv <address@hidden> (2012-07-31 20:43:16 UTC)]

> Why?  I usually configure --without-dbus, but want Gsettings.
> If we for example implement the Unity menubar thing (i.e. kind of like OSX
> menu bar at the top of the desktop), that will also use dbus.  Must we
> document every feature that might use dbus?  We don't have control over that.

Maybe not, but this caused quite a bit of confusion to me. I imagine other
people could be in the same situation of wanting to have an emacs daemon
running on a server that they can connect to and disconnect from multiple
times, and it would be good if we could find a way to help them achieve that.
But I admit I don't know enough about dbus or the myriad libraries that emacs
uses to offer any good suggestion. I am afraid in the final analysis, if dbus
gets into every corner of emacs, that emacs will be inextricably tied to the
desktop and will lose some of its utility on servers. That does not seem like a
desirable outcome.

- Harald