Re: ELPA security

From: chad
Subject: Re: ELPA security
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2013 23:18:45 -0800

On 06 Jan 2013, at 22:09, Jambunathan K <address@hidden> wrote:

> The main problem is not that of security per se.  The main problem is
> reliability.  The packages will break, the author wouldn't care about
> responding to questions or fixing things, the functionality itself could
> be broken in unknown ways etc.

I don't know what you consider the `main' problem, but right now
there are kits out on the web that could pretty easily be adapted
to transparently compromise anyone who ever uses any package
from any package.el repository.  As I understand it, that's the first
line of concern that's sparked the conversation.

I'm not a security expert, but I used to work with several. It's almost
always easier and better to add (basic) security to a system as soon
as you can; the resistance to change and effort builds up very fast.

It might already be too late for the first version of ELPA.

Hope that helps,
~Chad