Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs contributions, C and Lisp
Date: Sun, 02 Mar 2014 05:45:50 +0200

> Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2014 16:28:53 -0500
> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> CC: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
>     It cannot be Emacs's task to provide selling points for GCC, exactly
>     as GCC doesn't provide selling points for Emacs.
>
> It is not unusual to use one GNU package to motivate people
> to work on another GNU package.  We should do it more often,
> remembering that these packages aim for a larger goal.

I agree with what you say, but that wasn't my point at all, as should
be clear from reading what I wrote in its entirety.

>     No project can be requested to be that altruistic.
>
> That concept is not applicable because it presumes a project
> that exists narrowly for its own success.
>
> GNU Emacs and GCC are part of a larger project, the GNU operating
> system, and the GNU operating system has an overarching ethical
> purpose: to establish freedom for computer users.  Our policy must be
> based on that purpose; it would be irrational neglect to do otherwise.

No disagreement here, but again, you removed all context from what I
wrote, which makes the quote sound very different from its original
meaning.  Fortunately, the original text should talk for itself.