Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r116461: Connect electric-indent-mode up with CC Mode. Bug #15478.
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 12:37:11 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

Thanks for ignoring practically all of my last email.  That really made
my day.

On Sat, Mar 08, 2014 at 08:57:57PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > There lacks a clean way of determining if a minor-mode function has been
> > called.  There is a clear need for such a facility.

> I don't see what's clear about this supposed need.

So it would seem.

> > As we have discussed before, it is essential that c-electric-flag be
> > enabled by default for CC Mode buffers.

> And as you probably remember, I disagree.

Yes, I remember well.  Your disagreement consisted of noting that you
personally like typing tab all the time, rather than having lines of code
indent automatically.

> What is essential for me is that C-mode have the same behavior as other
> modes.  I.e. obey electric-indent-mode.

Major modes provide different behaviours, behaviours appropriate to the
type of text being edited.  That's why we have major modes.

Electric indentation in CC Mode is not broken.  You're determined,
nevertheless, to fix it.  The consequences for Emacs cannot be good.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).